SIETAR Europa Congress:
21st Century Waves of Change – Cultural Dexterity for Turbulent Times.
Dublin on 22-27 May 2017
This congress welcomes everyone whose life and work puts them at the interface of cultures, from the perspectives of economy, society and education, with the aim of reshaping intercultural discourse, questioning our current cultural paradigms and exploring new thinking to help us navigate complexity in our emerging global world.
With the aim of re-examining our cultural dimensions, understandings and paradigms, we invite submissions that question, critique, explore and refresh our cultural paradigms and theories, and simultaneously share new methods and best practices.
We invite those engaged in business, training and research (including independent consultants and educational institutions) shaping the European public sphere, (NGOs, governmental organizations and institutions and private ones as well) as well as media and arts, to participate and share contributions from all disciplines and fields that deal with intercultural topics.
Track 1: BUSINESS & ORGANIZATIONAL CHALLENGES – What does it mean to work together?
In this harbor we would like to focus on the best practices of WORKING ACROSS BORDERS, stimulating FLOW, encouraging and coaching present and future leaders and raising awareness and motivation in multicultural organizations and teams.
The following questions can be additionally considered:
- What should be done in order to tackle conflicts between corporate and local values?
- What coping mechanisms should be used to address multiple adjustments?
- How can we recognize and deal with challenges and risks during international projects?
- What are the opportunities and challenges of working with people who have hybrid identities?
- How can multicultural as well as virtual teamwork be enhanced?
Track 2: SOCIOPOLITICAL CONCERNS – How can cultural sensitivity become part of the creation and application of arts, law, media, health and education systems?
In this harbor we concentrate on finding BALANCE BETWEEN ANCHORING AND SAILING TO EMBRACE CHANGES, and on responding to the question, “How do media (TV, internet, radio, fine arts), legal systems and laws as well as education systems shape the picture of “the other“? How do cultures impact the perception of health and treatments? Additionally, we would like to show and discuss streaming practices in the media world and concentrate on the best practices from the arts, law, health and education sectors. One critical focus is on the consequences of the migrant and refugee crises.
Some possible topic suggestions:
- How are cultural differences addressed when reporting on people in the media?
- What are the best practices for showing the balanced picture of migrants and refugees in media?
- What is the role of cultural mediators in the construction of social values and behaviors?
- What challenges do health services face in serving a diverse population?
- What is the role of teachers and interpreters in shaping culturally sensitive education?
- What are the best intercultural practices in the fields of conflict resolution and mediation?
- How do migrant and refugee movements influence social change?
Track 3: SHAPING INTERCULTURAL PROFESSIONS – What are the recent updates and fresh developments in theory, methodology and practice? How can SIETAR Europa contribute to the professionalization of the intercultural field?
In this harbor we would like to focus on the latest developments in the intercultural professions and to address the DEPTH OF SIETAR’s VISION and its future as an established partner in offering expertise on cross-cultural issues.
Here are some topic suggestions:
- What are the latest trends in consulting in the intercultural profession?
- How can we use linguistics and storytelling in the process of enhancing intercultural competence?
- What are the most recent developments in coaching in the intercultural profession?
- How can intercultural expertise, skills and competences be deepened?
- What are the cultural challenges of incorporating new media in virtual education processes?
Track 4: PRACTICING AND SHIFTING PERSPECTIVE CHANGE – What are the opportunities & challenges of hybrid identities? How do Europeans&non-Europeans participate in shaping European cultures?
In this harbor we would like to share best practices and research findings that guide us in NAVIGATING with individual and organizational HYBRID IDENTITIES and deepen our understanding of the consequences of human mobility.
Here are some topic suggestions:
- How do we acquire, achieve, sustain and move between hybrid identities? Examples of these identities are TCKs and their families, expats, immigrants and refugees living in multicultural environments.
- What are the links between hybrid identities and social change?
- How can the issues of health and well-being in hybrid identity be addressed?
- How does human mobility change perceptions of cultural identity?
- What sort of challenges do people with a hybrid identity face in their social and professional life?
In this harbor we would like to introduce, discuss and deepen the understanding of WAVES OF INFLUENCE.
Some topic suggestions:
- What does it mean to be European and to be non-European in Europe?
- How do non-Europeans, both those living in and those living outside Europe perceive Europeans?
- How heavy is the cargo of colonialism when attempting to assess and exchange cultural resources?
- What are the best practices for steering social change?
- Overview and comparison of migrants “integration” policies in different countries
Track 5: IACCM Academic Track
The academic track of the SIETAR Europa Congress 2017 is organized in cooperation with the IACCM (International Association of Cross-Cultural Competence and Management).
The SIETAR Europa Film & Media Festival, first held in 2006 in Sofia, Bulgaria, continues to screen selected documentaries as part of our major congresses. The Festival now also features workshops on video editing, webinars and master classes. Each film screened is followed by an interactive program that may consist of Q&As with film makers, discussions with the audience, panel discussions, and/or debates with experts, politicians, journalists or representatives from stakeholder organizations where intercultural themes are clearly embedded.
On the congress webpage http://www.sietareu.org/seucongress2017 you can find all the related information regarding submitting for #seucongress:
- Congress Theme and different Tracks online here
- Call for pre-congress workshops including submission template here
- Call for submissions, templates and deadlines here
- Call for academic submissions including submission template online here
- Call for Films including submission template online here
SIETAR Europa Congress:
Deadline for submission: 31 October 2016
IACCM Academic Track: